If you are looking for a simple way of making money from home, then this GoGokid review is just what you need. Do you know that one of the best ways of earning extra income remotely is through teaching online platforms?
Let’s dive deeper into how to earn from GoGokid. Additionally, in this review, we shall look into the requirements as well as equipment needed to set up a virtual class. Also, read on to find out what to expect from their interview process and how GoGokid compares to other industry leaders such as Dada and Qkid.
Table of Contents
- What is Gogokid?
- Gogokid Requirements
- GoGokid Application Process
- Gogokid Interview Process
- Gogokid Pay
- GoGokid Reviews
- GoGokid Teaching Reviews
- GoGokid Teacher Portal
- GoGokid vs Dada
- Qkids Vs GoGokid
- Bottom Line: Is GoGokid Legit?
What is Gogokid?
Wondering what Gogokid is all about? As it happens, GoGokid is one of the highest-paying ESL companies. It is an online company that hires tutors or teachers from Canada and the US to teach students from China. Their online classes run for 25 minutes only per session.
The company is based in Beijing, China and pays between $14 and $25 per hour, and $7 t0 $10 per class plus bonuses- but more on that later. It’s owned by Bytedance, a Chinese tech giant which is worth over $75 billion. Since its debut, in 2018, GoGokid has grown to be a leader in online jobs for degree holders.
While the job is not so demanding, you need to have a good profile and positive reviews to get bookings consistently. If your services are satisfying, to both the student and parent/guardian, you are in a position to have the same students every week.
Before we get to what is required for your GoGokid teacher’s application to go through, let’s see what a typical GoGokid teaching job description looks like.
- The classes are supposed to run from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Beijing time
- After class, you are expected to evaluate each kid’s performance
- A single session should be 25 minutes long
- The teaching is on one on one online basis
- Preview the course that is prepared by GoGokid before starting the lesson
- Mainly, you will be teaching students aged 5 years to 12 years
- Last but not least, you will be paid an amount between 7 dollars to 10 dollars per session or get paid up to $25 per hour plus some performance bonus
Now that you are aware of that you need to understand that before you apply to teach online with GoGokid, the next thing is to confirm that you meet the following requirements:
- English is your native language and you reside in either Canada or the United States
- A valid Identification Card is essential
- Have at least one year of experience working with children
- Have a TEFL certificate or TESOL certificate
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in any discipline
- You have no criminal background
- You are legally eligible to work in the US and Canada
- Have strong communication skills
Aside from these requirements, you need some technical tools to get started. These include:
- You need a laptop or a computer, installed with Windows 7 or higher
- A headset or earphones which are functioning well
- Good internet with a high speed that is 20 Mbps on the lower side
- Functioning webcam or HD camera
Once you have confirmed you have met all the requirements above, you are ready to apply to teach online with GoGokids.
GoGokid Application Process
The GoGokid recruitment process is very easy and short compared to other sites that teach English. First, you need to sign up by clicking here using your email to kick start the process. Afterward, you should be able to log in to the GoGokid teacher’s portal where you are to:
- Enter your basic information, that is your name, educational background, your personal experience, your eligibility to work in Canada or the USA, and your country of residence.
- Afterward, book an interview which is usually 30 minutes. It will include a Demo lesson of about 10 minutes. Don’t worry about how to handle the interview because GoGokid will send you all the materials required during the interview.
Mind you, your pay rate depends on how you perform during the interview. As such, it helps to check out recorded demos from current GoGokid teachers on YouTube.
- When the interview is done GoGokid gets back to you within 24 hours
- You will eventually receive an email from GoGokid informing you whether you passed the interview so that you can submit your documents and then sign the contract. The email can also be a notification that you failed the interview and that you need to redo it.
- Finally, after signing the contract you’ll set up your profile as a teacher. What do I mean? You share some information about yourself like hobbies. Generally, this step allows you to showcase your uniqueness as an online teacher and how comfortable your family is with your new schedule.
Gogokid Interview Process
GoGokid interview lasts for 30 minutes only. The interview is simple but you need to ensure smooth sailing, you need to be prepared. Here are some tips to get you ready before the interview and mock classes;
- Ensure that your teaching statistics and fluency in the English language are indisputable. This should be the first step.
- When scheduling for the interview make sure to choose the time that you are certain to be available to avoid inconveniences.
- Prepare for both a live interview and recorded interview to be on the safe side- the recruitment panel can decide on either option without prior notice.
- Before the interview, you should check the background lighting. To be on the safe side, set up the room like you would for a pro-YouTube video shoot.
- Last but not least, go through the provided slides to exercise using them before the interview.
If you feel ready, go ahead and book your interview. The process will take you from your online application page to an in-person meeting, which after you pass the interview gets you presented with a job offer.
Once you are done with the interview you should get ready for the orientation process that involves watching videos. Later you fill your teaching profile online and then sign the contract which is usually 6 months long. This simply means you are ready to teach.
Gogokid mostly focuses on your rating as a teacher to determine your pay. In short, it means that your chances to gain more points depends on whether you are available to teach your class, positive preview from parents, having a consistent schedule, working during peak hours, and how often you get booked to teach online.
The peak hours are 7 pm to 9 pm and 10 am to 11.30 am on weekdays, and 2 pm to 3.30 pm on weekends. The hours are as per the Beijing time zone (GMT +8).
The company states that basic pay is between $7 and $10 for your 25 minutes of teaching from home. Besides that, there is a bonus of either 10% or 25% of your base rate, depending on factors such as attendance and reviews.
Wondering how you lose points? Well, it’s by failing to teach for a week and having technical or network problems during the session. Surprisingly, you get a whopping $120 as a bonus for referrals. And if a trial student from your class decides to sign up to the GoGokid regular program you get a bonus of $10.
If you want to maximize your earnings, ensure that you take part in the monthly contests and teach more classes in a day. Payment of the previous month is paid on the 15th of the current month. The money is either deposited directly to your account or through your PayPal account.
Additionally, you will receive 55% of your service fee when you show up for a class and no students show up.
To sum up, here is a snapshot of salaries from different roles advertised by GoGokid on Indeed, a popular American-based reviews, and jobs board company.
Glassdoor gives GoGokid a 3.2-star rating. This rating is from 134 reviews from both former and current GoGokid teachers. The company scores high on work-life balance and diversity & inclusion metrics. Going by the reviews, it’s evident that GoGokid is a legit company not known for scams or defrauding their employees.
Without going deep into every review, here is a quick look at the common pros and cons of working on GoGokid from different reviewers.
Pros of Working at GoGokid
The positive reviews on GoGokid point to;
- GoGokid is among the highest-paying companies for teaching English online. You are paid $7-$10 per session and you can make up to $25 per hour.
- Lots of bonuses from referrals and joining students
- The application process is easy
- One-on-one online lessons
- The schedules are flexible meaning you have full power over your class schedules
- The classes are interactive because you can use drawing tools and involve your students while teaching
- No need to make a lesson plan because GoGokid provides you with a comprehensive one
Cons of Working at GoGokid
The negative reviews mainly highlight that;
- It is hard to figure out how the GoGokid score system works
- There is no guarantee for classes because the parents are the ones who book the classes online, which can be irregular.
- Your salary depends on the parent’s remarks, without much of a chance for teachers to dispute
- Rules keep changing as new companies rise.
GoGokid Teaching Reviews
With the above overview of the site’s reviews, it’s easy to see why GoGokid gets high ratings among work-from-home freelancers. According to teachers’ reviews, the platform is praised for flexible hours and easy bonuses. On the other hand, the secretive nature of remuneration is a big worry, especially for beginners. For a better understanding of GoGokid jobs, here are some critical sentiments- as posted on Indeed.com.
These teachers here award GoGokid 5-stars. Among the highpoints for the job include cultural enrichment, wonderful students, and amazing earning potential.
What of negative reviews?
To begin with, none of the negative reviews say that GoGokid is a scam. The common teachers’ complaint is a new payment scheme launched in 2019. The new pay structure makes it hard to get bonuses and comes with different components, making it hard to know your exact dues. There is also a recurring concern that non-attendance, no matter the reason, get you heavily penalized.
GoGokid Teacher Portal
To work as a teacher, you sign in with your email or Google account to access the GoGokid teacher portal. The platform can only be accessed from the official website and by approved users only. It’s from here that you conduct your classes online and get assistance with lesson plans and other teaching materials.
Also, it’s from the portal that you provide your availability for approval to corresponding teach classes. Lastly, you are required to fill out an evaluation for each class that can only be done from the portal.
GoGokid vs Dada
Like GoGokid, DaDa is a top online ESL school based in China. So, how do the two compare in terms of work-life and pay? Generally, I would recommend working for GoGokid because you can close slots when no booking is made, whereas, with Dada, you are on a fixed schedule.
Furthermore, DaDa does not compensate teachers for canceled lessons. This is as opposed to GoGokid where you get compensation when students do not attend your class, for as long as you were booked and waited them out.
Lastly, unlike Gogokid where eligibility is reserved for native speakers from Canada and the US, Dada considers employees worldwide, as long as English is their native language.
That said, both platforms have great students who are willing to learn. You will be happy to know that they both offer similar pay rates for active classes.
Interested in working with Dada? Register here and make $15 to $25 per hour.
Qkids Vs GoGokid
Qkids is yet another industry leader for tutors in search of online jobs. When it comes to the pay rate, Qkids pays up to $20 per hour, which is 4% less compared to GoGokid’s maximum hourly pay. Another deviation is in the teaching process whereby with Gogokid, you have to prepare the lesson plan before starting. But with Qkids, no lesson plans are necessary before a class commences.
The bottom line though is that both Qkids and Gogokid are more similar than they are different. In both, the working hours are flexible, kids are easy to work with, bonuses are hefty, and you get compensation for missed classes.
Related Topic: How VIPkid and Qkids Compare.
1. Do I have to communicate with the parents?
Absolutely yes. After the lesson, you have to give feedback to the parents on what was covered in class and what the student needs to practice on. Also, you have to inform the parent which part the student performed well. This part of the job is very important since it forms the basis by which GoGokid rates your services. Any negative feedback from the parents can see your base rate going down a notch.
2. In each class how many students do I teach?
Classes at GoGokid are usually one on one. This means that you will only have one student per class. As such, your lessons are considerably easy to manage. Having only one student per session also allows you to build a good rapport with both the student and parents.
3. Is it possible to teach the same students?
Teaching the same students is not a guarantee. Typically, the classes are distributed randomly amongst the available teachers and the number of students who are log in. It is, however, possible to teach the same students if they specifically request from you. You can ensure this by delivering a great session to trial students who are new to the platform.
4. What are the peak times?
GoGokid operates in Beijing time that falls on the China Standard Time zone (GMT +8). As such, the peak teaching time is 7 pm to 9 pm and 10 am to 11.30 am, from Monday to Friday. On weekends, peak hours run from 2 pm – 3.30 pm. It is during these periods that you can almost be guaranteed to get slots to teach and make $25 every hour.
Gogokid is a legit and promising ESL company to work with. The platform is not only legit but they also pay well with lessons being one on one through an interactive online teaching portal. At up to 25 per hour, the job is a feasible work from home earning opportunity that can employ you for a long period.
I hope that this GoGokid review has answered many of your burning questions on GoGokid ESL teaching jobs. If not, post any queries in the comments and I will be more than happy to engage with you. And if you have worked with GoGokid, share any of your insights with us.
I wish you the best in your career journey working with GoGokids and if doesn’t work out, you can always try your luck with Qkids Teaching Jobs.
Hey Folks, thanks for stopping by my blog!
I’m Swati. I’m a mom, side hustler, full-time blogger and a millennial work-at-home expert featured on Forbes, CEO Blog Nation, Referral Rock, Vital Dollar, and Databox blog. I embarked on this impeccable journey to expose my online monetary experiences and help you all earn money from home. Come join my make money revolution and attain financial freedom – it’s not as hard as you think!